Create a Patterned Weaving in Paper
• 6” x 18” sheets of construction or other heavy
(one per student)
• Various narrow strips cut, as described below, from sheets
of bright contrasting papers (foil, patterned, construction, etc)
• Glue Sticks
1. Cut a loom for each student from sheets of paper
measuring 6" x 18" (You may want to have older students
cut their own looms). For each loom, use a pencil and a ruler to
draw a 1" border around outside edge of the paper. Measure
and mark every 1⁄4" inside the border across one of the
6" sides of the loom.
2. Fold the paper loom in half, with the marked
side facing up. Measure and mark each 1⁄4" inside the
border along the folded edge of the loom. Using the ruler, draw
lines to connect these marks.
3. Cut along the lines from the fold of the loom
to the edge of the border. You are making the warp of the loom with
4. Cut lots of strips measuring 1⁄4"
x 6" from a variety of brightly colored papers. Sort the strips
by color and store in envelopes. The strips are the weft and will
be used to create the weaving.
Demonstrate for your students how to weave the strips in and out
of the warp “threads” on the paper loom to create a
weaving. Allow time for your students to complete their weavings.